History of the Old Market Inn
William and Emma Osmond (nee Tupell) left Bristol, Somerset as assisted immigrants on the ship Theodore to Port Fairy (then called Belfast). Arriving in December 1852, William (26) and Emma (24) and their two small children Priscilla (2) and infant Alfred Edward were assigned to R.H. Woodward for 2 shillings per week (which didn't include rations).
By 1868, Osmond was the owner of the Volunteer Arms, had a business as a butcher and was the holder of a Beer and Colonial wine license for his eight-roomed home on William Street. The next year he purchased the half-acre block next door for 96 pounds and set about building the Market Hotel.
When the two-storey bluestone was opened in 1871, Osmond had transferred his license from the Volunteer Arms and had four sitting rooms and five bedrooms exclusively for patrons. Business came mostly from the livestock sale yards which operated across the road.
When William Osmond died in 1876, the local Gazette reassured readers that his widow and family were well provided for as his estate was worth around 1,500 pounds. William's eldest son Alfred (26) became the licensee of the Hotel as well as continuing to run the butcher's business with his brothers Edward (22), Samuel (17) and Seth (11).
Osmond's Market Hotel stayed with the Osmond the family until 1916 when it was sold and the trading license revoked (possibly due to the limited custom brought on by the First World War). The last licensee was Harold Revell, husband of Osmond's eldest daughter Priscilla.
Since then, the building has been a private residence, bed & breakfast
and art studio.
Today, you have an opportunity to go back in time and stay in this historic landmark.